Sunday, October 25, 2009

My mind wanders


I have a little problem. I should probably tell you that.
There isn't really a name for it, but there should be.
I can't stop metamorphosizing. I wonder if chameleons have the same problem when their lives become overwhelming. Do they suddenly swap polka dots for a nice tartan print? In my case, the only thing I can control 99.9% of the time is my appearance. If I had millions of dollars I would probably be one of those sad cases addicted to plastic surgery, but since I've got champagne tastes on a beer budget I often settle the score by torturing my hair. Most of the time this is met with praise (which probably doesn't help, and may be at the root of the problem) but some of the time, I end up back at square one... with little to no hair.
For example I have never been able to grow my hair past my shoulders. Not once in my life have I felt my actual hair (and not some store bought hair piece or weave) graze against my middle back. Why? Reason number one; Relationships.

If someone were to set up a time elapse camera on me during a relationship it would be like watching a street light malfunction. Red! Black! Red! Blonde!Gray?Weave! Short! Bald! It can't be helped and it's the saddest thing ever. Because what guy doesn't prefer his girlfriend to have long hair? What guy doesn't prefer his girlfriend to stay sort of the way he found her in the first place? AND YET, I am only able to keep my cool in the relationship for so long before I molt and change direction. It's as if I believe that if I can pick the right look, the right shade of hair-color, the right style of make up, and just the right outfit... if I can figure out the winning visual combination, things in my relationship will finally click into place. Though it has yet to work, I continue to do this to myself.

Some girls have anorexia. Some girls pull their eyebrows and eyelashes out one at a time.
Parrots pull their feathers out when their owners die. I have stubbornly refused to be myself until being myself became being anything but. So anyways, here I am again, having another one of those "How am I not Myself?" moments. Want to share it with me?

Overwhelmed by life and my relationship, I've hit that impasse again where it's time to start planning a reinvention of self, or I will continue to look in the mirror and see only the flaws that are not getting me anywhere. The aging face= the nose that used to not be quite so beaky when I smiled. The dull complexion. The shrinking eyes. The too fine hair that just hangs there limp on my head unless tortured into a style every single day.

So I permed it and loved it for two weeks, until the curl fell out along with handfuls of hair in the shower. I remembered the terrible stylist who permed it said that it would need to be cut in a few weeks, and rather than go to her again I bobbed a good 2 inches off of it in the hopes it would remedy the breakage and the lack of curl. To no avail. I could not prevent myself from coloring it with a very gentle all natural product known to leave hair in better condition. Unfortunately what should have been close to my natural brown ended up being inky black. My hair is dry. It is uncooperative. The blackness only serves to highlight the fact that my hair is fine and splitty. I want to cut it all off. Right now. Straight away. DO OVER.

A friend, who is also a stylist, saw me last night and said "Black?! Are you crazy?!"
My boyfriend is still sort of into me, but I fear he may leave me if I cut it all off.
Images of the girl he was really into, that impossible to compete with ghost that he sings songs to whenever he holds a guitar, flit into my head. She wasn't gussied up. She was pretty natural.

I consider shaving my head. Letting my natural grow out. I'm in college, I could get away with it. I could take a break from make up and hair all together and just focus on school. Become that girl who just rolls into a pair of jeans and a hoodie and doesn't have to fuss much or get up an hour early to get ready in the morning.

I tell myself if he leaves me, he couldn't handle "the real me". That it doesn't matter if people question my sexuality because all that matters is I know what I'm into. That it doesn't matter what anyone thinks at all, because while they're critiquing how I've "given up on pretty" I will be channeling all that energy I used to put into pulling myself apart, into building who I am on the inside. Building my knowledge, building a future.

I fantasize. I find photographs online of short hair. Hair the color of gingersnaps. I could be Mia Farrow. I could pull off Twiggy. Then I remember they were waifs, and that every time my hair is short I feel like a sexless lesbian. 60% masculine, 40% just slightly too curvy to get away with the street urchin look. I cry every time my hair is that short. The crying is inevitable, it goes with the loneliness of knowing I was right about what other people would think.

So my fantasy morphs. I imagine me with my Rosemary hair, selling off everything that ties me to this old life. I sell all my owls, my bike and my clothes, everything but a few pairs of jeans, a sturdy pair of boots and some warm enough shirts and socks. I use the money to transfer to a college abroad, maybe somewhere with weather moody enough to make for good sad songs. Somewhere like Scotland or Ireland, where imaginary boys with mischevious good looks will be happier to see me. I picture myself alone in a wet, gray, marshy boring old town and it feels like an adventure.





4 comments:

  1. You are so very articulate. I love the way you write. I think we all want something that isn't who we are but we want it to define us somehow.

    I wish I had the guts to try different styles. Live with all the faces, hairstyles, clothes that could be me but no.. I'm honestly just the girl who dreams about doing most of that stuff and never goes through with it.

    Clothes and hairstyles shouldn't define us. They should just make us express ourselves. You're beautiful even if you shave your head. You're still going to be you the next day. It's sometimes nice to experiment as long as you can get comfortable in your own skin. I can change anything about me and still not be fully comfortable in my own skin..I appreciate how honest your entry is. I would have never have guessed someone has beautiful as you could have the same problems when it comes to finding the right look and keeping a relationship.

    I guess we all learn..and grow as human beings. We all want something to make us more perfect, as you stated you wish you could pass for twiggy. I bet she wished at least at one point in her life to have curves like you.
    I just started having problems with my body..I wish I could change and change back. I hate my nose..I wish I could be skinny like I was a year ago. Anyway, I just really enjoyed your post. I knew you were a natural blogger. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alyssa <3

    I think that our society probably foster this concept that with the right adjustments to our outsides, everything else will click into place. Largely the media, advertisements are at the root of it, though it also takes people to perpetuate it. I can see where it comes from, but I feel pretty helpless to avoid it. Whether it's "right" or not, it's a standard that exists that most women feel pressured to adhere to.
    I spoke to my bf about lopping off all my hair. He thought that would be pretty extreme, and didn't think it was necessary.
    I still think about it. We passed a tween girl today, skinny, smiley adorable, fresh faced punk looking girl who was walking down the street with her best friend, with her head shaved. I pointed her out as an example that it could be adorable and he said "She's a kid, she's got something to prove."
    Well. I feel like I sort of have something to prove. Not to mention my hair keeps falling out, a mixture of stress and damage.
    anyway,
    we're all in the same boat, because regardless of our outsides, we're all forced to contend with that little voice in our heads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chandra,
    My lovely Owl, I know I have read some of these things about you before on Facebook and I am always stunned. You are the strongest, bravest not to mention most beautiful woman I have ever met. It wasnt untill you that I realized that every one struggles with the same personal demons.
    I was so moved by your words and your honesty.

    As for your hair, I have only seen photos so I cant tell the condition but I was in the same situation maybe a year ago! Coloring my hair Purple then Black, I wanted a change so badly! All the Chemicals and times I spent coloring my hair left it super dry, dull and falling out that I also wanted to just shave my head...
    Then I made it worse using a color eraser making my hair blonde! Then I tried to make it brown and it came out a bright Orange! :O
    It was a mess although I liked the orange color it didnt fit with my natural color tones, so I waited a bit and colored it again and then it came out to a almost natural brown. Either way my hair was stiff like straw and smelled like poo!
    I got it cut short and have since then waited it out... Its been a year and with my last hair cut I am completely at my natural color but well I am bored with it! I am the same when it comes to transformations, I spend money like water but my vice is make-up. From all kinds of color and glitters and moods I use make-up to mask myself.

    As for the Relationship, Well its so cliche to say but if he cares about you, then what you do with your hair shouldn't matter. Why does it matter? You wouldnt be a totally different person on the inside nor would you be ugly! (Far from Ugly) But if you want to start fresh and be freed from the old I think its a good idea but if you are feeling unsure then just go really short like pixie. Looking at your facial structures you have very delicate features that would compliment a short hair style like twiggy and Mia. Also you dont look a day over 18!
    Love
    Ardent <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks beautiful people, I appreciate your words more than you could know. <3

    I started cutting it the other day, it's this whittling down process I start sometimes, with the razor, by myself, piece by piece until the hair is short. I'm at a semi-mullet stage. The front is layered short around my face, a little bit longer in front of the ears. Behind the ears I have left most of the length but I layered it in the crown for sprouties and in the middle for less flatness. This seemed like a good idea the day I did it, but it's not behaving because it's so damaged! I'm just putting it in a ponytail and pretending it's short for now. Maybe it won't break off, and maybe it will stop thinning out. bah!!

    ReplyDelete